The faculty was established in July 1967 with an initial enrolment of 60 students under what was known as the School of Applied Arts, which was later changed to the School of Arts and Architecture.
In 1971 the School of Arts and Architecture had undergone major reorganisation, and this led to the establishment of two separate schools; one, which emphasised on the built environment, and the other on the arts and design.Subsequently, the built environment school was named as the School of Architecture, Planning and Surveying which was later known as the Faculty of Architecture, Planning and Surveying. However, the Malaya, cronym "FSPU" (which stands for Fakulti Senibina, Perancangan dan Ukur) is commonly used within UiTM.
There are eight departments in the Faculty of Architecture, Planning, and Surveying (FSPU) UiTM Perak namely:
- Department of Town & Regional Planning
- Department of Quantity Surveying
- Department of Estate Management
- Department of Building
- Department of Interior Design
- Department of Landscape Architecture
- Department of Building Surveying
- Department of Architecture